[hpsdr] SDR-1000 /Janus TX noise sidebands

Al K0VM at arrl.net
Sat Jun 30 10:42:17 PDT 2007

  In a previous message, AA8K, in the investigation of his TX noise
problem mentioned that he saw a HF oscillation on the TX I & Q signal
coming from Janus.  I do NOT have the same noise problem that Mike has,
but I was curious about the oscillation on the TX I & Q signal and its
effect on the spectrum of the SDR-1000. Attached you will find three
photos.
  The first 'SDR TX w-Janus' is the spectrum of the SDR-1000 when driven
from Janus. (SDR is in tune mode 10 watts out, The horizontal scale is 1
Mhz per division ) Notice the broad noise humps. Both a switching power
supply and an linear power supply have the same noise humps.
  The second is 'SDR TX W-D44' is the spectrum of the SDR-1000 when
driven from the D44 sound card. Notice the absence of the humps but the
noise skirt.
  The third is the 'SDR TX W-HP204C' is the spectrum of the SDR-1000
when the I channel is driven from and HP 204c  audio oscillator at 1
khz  which produces a double side band signal.  Notice the near absence
of the noise skirts.

  Although the humps are > 50 db below Peak output and therefore
probably legal, I think that we should do better.

AL, K0VM