[hpsdr] Question about VID and PID of OZY

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan vu3rdd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 11:54:55 PDT 2007

On 6/30/07, Johan Maas <johan.maas at hetnet.nl> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Tnx for the reply.
>
> Iam not building on my own but i like to known how it works....
>
> The write_eeprom program uses also a vid and a pid as an input argument and
> based on that information the usb handle must be determined; when the eeprom
> is not initialized yet; what are than the vid and pid?

Hi,

I will try to explain my understanding of the FX2 booting.

FX2 has the default VID and PID of 0x04b4 and 0x8613 respectively.
When FX2 boots up, it tries to read the EEPROM. There are various boot
modes for FX2 as explained in the FX2 TRM. If the first byte in the
EEPROM is 0xC0, then, VID and PID are read from the next two locations
and FX2 renumerates. There are other boot modes like C2 boot mode,
where first byte is C2 which signifies that the entire FX2 firmware is
present in the EEPROM. In the case of C0 boot, which is the one used
in Ozy I guess, the host still has to download the firmware. The
appropriate driver gets loaded for a corresponding VID:PID
combination. On GNU/Linux, the hotplug/udev mechanism loads the
firmware for FX2.

--
  Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD