[hpsdr] Demeter = HPSDR power supply(?)

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 09:29:38 PDT 2007

I'm thinking recently about a project like HPSDR in that it also
uses cards and a backplane and of course it to will need a power
supply.  This project will use a 50 pin ribbon cable as a backplane
so there are no DC power connectors on the backplane as with Atlas.
So the power supply, or at least parts of it will be built on one
of the cards.  I think that idea could work for HPSDR too.
If you are going to communicate voltage and current levels and
accept a digital command to "shut down", the power supply needs to
be connected to the buss which means you need a card.  Once you are
committed to using a plug-in card you may as well make it as large
as the specification allows, Smaller cards don't make for a
smaller system as the enclosure must be spec'd for the largest card.

So on the card you could mount some DC-DC converters for the voltages
other than +12 and a regulator to take +13.8 to +12 then you feed
your new card only 13.8V from either a lead acid battery or a
standard "ham" power supply that most of us might already own.
I don't see much reason to use the DC connector that is on the
Atlas board if you are using a plug in card.  The new power supply
card would plug into Altals and have just an Anderson Power Pole
connector and a fuse on it's exposed side.

--- Jeroen Bastemeijer <J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Please allow me to (further) introduce myself. My name is Jeroen
> Bastemeijer, I am a radio-amateur (callsign PE1RGE) of 32 years old.
> In
> my professional life I'm an elecronics engineer working at the Delft
> University of Technology in the Netherlands. From the beginning of
> the
> HPSDR project I have been a member of the reflector/project and,
> occasionally, I submitted a post to the reflector.
>
> Last week I received the HPSDR boards and ATLAS-component kits from
> TAPR. They must have loved the boards at the customs.... they kept
> them
> for almost four weeks!
>
> Now the boards have arrived, it's time for some hands-on experiments!
>
> The only thing I still need is a good power supply for the HPSDR.
> Becauses I wasn't sure which one to buy, I looked around on the
> internet. Off course I did some research on the PicoPSU, and I looked
>
> into "ordinary" computer power supplies as well. Unfortunately, I
> couldn't find a power supply which seemed the ultimate solution for
> the
> High Performance SDR project.
>
> After giving it some thought, I send an E-mail to Phil N8VB. To him I
>
> proposed to add a custom power supply to the HPSDR project. His
> reply:
> < I agree that we need a custom power supply solution. Just send your
>
> proposal to the HPSDR list. >
>
> So, here it is.... my proposal! :-)
>
> First thing the power supply needs is a name. So I have been looking
> into the Greek gods and other creatures, and I found.....
>
> "DEMETER"
>
> "Demeter" is the Goddes of  grain and fertility , the pure nourisher
> of
> the youth and the green earth, the health-giving cycle of life and
> death, and preserver of marriage and the sacred law.
>
> The first part of the description, really applies to a power supply.
> The
> last part.... not really, but we can't blaim her, at that time the
> power
> supplies still had to be invented. Furthermore, I like the name, it's
>
> easy to pronounce. ;-)
>
> Second step in the design process will be to find other enthusiasts
> who
> are willing to participate in the design-process and to determine the
>
> specifications for the power supply.
>
> What I was thinking about:
> * Output voltages +12 Volt, +5 Volt, -12 Volt (current ratings to be
> detrmined)
> * An optional standby power supply for the OCXO (24 Volt?) and the
> GPS-engine of Gibraltar
> * Electronic (software) switch on/off
> * Input voltage: 13,8 Volt (mobile use), 110 Volt, 230 Volt
> * Computer monitoring of the currents and voltages
> * Output protection (crow-bar) and current limiters

> [...]

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org