[hpsdr] Demeter = HPSDR power supply(?)

rick at eversoles.com rick at eversoles.com
Fri Jun 8 09:18:20 PDT 2007

> What I was thinking about:
> * Output voltages +12 Volt, +5 Volt, -12 Volt (current ratings to be
> detrmined)
> * An optional standby power supply for the OCXO (24 Volt?) and the
> GPS-engine of Gibraltar
> * Electronic (software) switch on/off
> * Input voltage: 13,8 Volt (mobile use), 110 Volt, 230 Volt
> * Computer monitoring of the currents and voltages
> * Output protection (crow-bar) and current limiters
> * ............
>
> Because this project is not determined by one individual, we should
> first agree on the specs for the project, so:
>
> If you have any suggestions, questions, ideas, or data for the Demeter
> spec-sheet, please be so kind to E-mail them to me and the
> HPSDR-community.

If you are going to allow 13.8V supply then consider the use
of Anderson PowerPole connectors:

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/standard-powerpole.html

And a supplier link: http://www.powerwerx.com/category.asp?CtgID=1001
(Additional styles with color codes for other supply voltages 5,9,etc)

Many ARES groups in the US use these connectors as a standard.
They are available in 15/30/40 AMP (interchangeable as the physical
size is the same only the conductor part sizes for the current.

75AMP are also available in a larger shell.

Of course using the "T" connector popular on many mobile rigs
could also be used. A "T" to PowerPole adapter is readily available
and easy to make. I have two in my "emergency" pack.

Another thought (adds complexity) is to incorporate some features of
the PowerGate (http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp?ProdID=3783) into
the supply or figuring out how to provide for direct mounting of the
unit as an option. The idea would be to run the 12V connection from the
actual supply to the PowerGate and then run the PowerGate into the
supplies 13.8v supply. Connect a battery to the PowerGate. Now the
system is tolerant of power outages. Not efficient.

Building the charge/switch over circuitry into the supply would be
better than tacking a PowerGate onto the SDR.

(Ideas not fully formed... but maybe enough to trigger further thoughts)

Rick N6RNO