[hpsdr] Demeter

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Mon Jun 11 05:09:31 PDT 2007

Dear All,

The Demeter page was added to HPSDR.ORG. There you can find a list with
all kind of specs and ideas for the Demeter power supply. This list was
generated based on your ideas, suggestions and comments.

The HPSDR was designed as a flexible system. This makes the design of a
power supply rather complicated. The people who are using the HPSDR can
roughly be divided in two groups:

* People using the HPSDR in combination with the SDR-1000, they will
only use Atlas, Ozy and Janus and not further extend their system. Their
power-supply can be fairly simple using standard linear regulators.
Power can be derived from the SDR-1000. Gibraltar will not be used.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not using the SDR-1000.

* People using the HPSDR without the SDR-1000 need a more complicated
power supply. This supply needs to supply more power. There is the need
for a stand-by power supply for Gibraltar. Also: Please correct me if
I'm wrong.

 From my opinion, one of the most important questions is: Is it
necessary to make the power supply suitable for mobile operation? If the
answer is yes: we need a switching topology. If the answer is no: we can
choose between linear and switching.

The configuration I have in mind, based on your input, at this moment is
the following:

*Please note this is just an idea and I hope it will help you to give
comments, nothing has been decided yet!*

Input:
Mains powered 110/230VAC, mains to low-voltage conversion using a normal
single secondary voltage transformer

Output:
+5 V @ 2.5A
+12V @ 1A
-12 V @ 0.5A
Standby power output
+5V @ 100mA
+15....28V @ 2A

Output protection: Current limiting, voltage crowbar

Monitoring: Voltage, current and temperature

Control and monitoring: USB-port

External board, connector to Atlas using the ATX-connector

Power supply built in a separate enclosure (similar/the same as Pandora)

Mixed switching/linear topology with sufficient filtering and
temperature regulated forced air-cooling

Looking forward to your remarks and comments.

73 Jeroen PE1RGE

--
Ing. Jeroen Bastemeijer

Delft University of Technology
Department of Electrical Engineering
Electronic Instrumentation Laboratory
Mekelweg 4, Room 13.090
2628 CD Delft
The Netherlands

Phone: +31.15.27.86542
Fax: +31.15.27.85755
E-mail: J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
GPS: Lat N52.00002 Lon E4.37157 Alt 46.2m