[hpsdr] Analog Vs. Switching power supply for OZY Janus...

k5nwa k5nwa at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 11 12:50:28 PDT 2007

At 12:13 PM 6/11/2007, Henry Vredegoor wrote:

>Hi Al, Cecil,
>
>I wasn't arguing for a switcher or a linear PSU.
>I just was curious...
>
>Did they change the type because Al doesn't seem to have the problem?
>
>It is going to be unavoidable I'm afraid to have some inverter type supply
>in there (in my case) since I'm planning for mobile use (12V).......
>
>Any brand names used ?
>
>73's
>
>Henry.
No arguments here either, I was pointing out that there is a tiny
switcher in the SDR-1000 and it has caused problems for some. As far
as it being changed, I'm not sure, my guess would be no.

The problem I see with switchers is that although they could be made
quiet, many do so at different degrees of success, so buying one is
somewhat of a gamble unless someone else has had experience with the
particular model that one is interested in. With an analog supply on
the other hand, it's a non-issue.

Hopefully as people try out different models they will publish their
results so a list of good switchers can be compiled.

Cecil
KD5NWA
www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com