[hpsdr] Minibox PW-200-M Power Supply

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 20:49:20 PDT 2007

I've had a few days to play with the PW-200-M supply over the
weekend. In the end it works fine, but I don't really find
anything about it that is special either. And after reviewing
the specs more closely, I see that the rated running current
output is essentially the same as the Pico120 except for the
-12V.

I am running it from the same power supply that I use with
the SDR-1000. In order to do so I had to put two series
diodes in the + lead to drop the 13.8V down to something
closer to 12V. This is required since the +12V output from
the PW-200-M is just the input 12V fed through. It does
however have overvoltage protection if the input V is too
high as I found out. The PW-200-M simply shuts itself down if
the input V is too high.

The connector reorientation surgery looks doable, but I'm in
no hurry to try it. As for now the PW-200-M just plugs
directly in and hangs over the edge of the Atlas, won't
likely work with Pandora, but is OK for now. And the removal
of the HD power leads was just a pretty painless desoldering
operation.

One thing that I did not see change was the size and position
of the spikes in the passband. The before and after
screenshots I took look nearly identical. So the spikes that
I see must be something other than the PS. The original
supply that I used was just a generic PC supply. If the PS
was the cause of the spikes then I would have thought that
the PW-200-M would have look quite different, even if it
wasn't any quieter.

Duane
N9DG