[hpsdr] Status of THOR - Gibralter?

michael taylor mctylr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 18:46:02 PDT 2007

On 6/12/07, David Woodhead <dwoodhead at bms-inc.com> wrote:

> If you are looking for a relatively simple solution, look for a Rockwell
> Jupiter GPS board (they show up on Ebay quite often - I paid about $30

A quick look at its datasheet suggests the Jupiter is accurate to
within ±1 microsecond, whereas there are numerous cheap new GPS
modules (SiRF StarIII ~$50-75 US) are accurate to within 100ns. And
the fussy are going to want to use Motorola or i-Lotus M12M Timing or
Trimble Resolution T GPS modules for accuracy to within 2nS (1 Sigma
average). Give that the Jupiter modules are getter harder to find, and
not giving better accuracy over an ordinary GPS receiver OEM module, I
don't think they are the best choice.

US Source for M12M Timing modules: <http://www.synergy-gps.com/> They
offer a discount to hams.

Resolution T: <http://www.trimble.com/resolutiont.shtml>

If Gibraltar is going to use a ~$250 OCXO, then spending $100-200 for
a Timing GPS module might make a better combination.

That reminds me, MTI-Milliren Technologies, Inc. (MTI) has a special
on for their 270-0269 10MHZ OCXO, "5 pcs min $180 each, lower price
for larger quantities."
I believe the specs are similar to the Valpey Fisher or Crystek for
stability, aging, and phase noise, but I am not certain. Though it
does have sine wave output rather than CMOS / TTL.

<http://www.mti-milliren.com/> - Special
<http://www.mti-milliren.com/270-0269.pdf>

-Michael, VE3TIX