[hpsdr] Gibralter?

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 16:11:17 PDT 2007

Chris and Michael..

Thanks for your comments, hopefully anyone interested in Gibralter will get
in on this discussion. Anyone interested in a world class time/frequency
standard might get in on the discussion. The project should be flexible
enough in simple form inputting 1 pps to an FPGA or 10 mhz to an FPGA and
putting it on to the Atlas Buss OR as complex as mounting a world class GPS
timing receiver, and TCVCXO oscillator.

The current WIKI has a very good outline and suggestion for parts. I search
the GPS quite frequently, however, nothing I have found beats the iLotus
M12M Timing. I would not settle for less than that product at this point.
The two oscillators suggested are also not 'chicken feed' since they are
long lead time and about $250 per.

Although the wiki does not mention FPGA, they are INEXPENSIVE, and certainly
a 'hardware interface' between the 1 pps and 10 mhz osc, and the buss etc.
Any design really should feature an FPGA to do all sorts of conditioning,
smoothing, trend analysis, ambient temperature monitoring, corrections,
frequency division, check of the internet for NIST corrections etc. Software
Definition of the time standards thus interfaced should produce a world
class standard on the long term and very stable short term precision.

Just thoughts. The lifeblood of this forum!

For those interested, Let's see if we can Google a BETTER GPS than the
iLotus M12M Timing or the Valpy Fischer and Crystek VCXO. I have looked at
the SiRF and Trimble, but like the iLotus better, although I don't think
they offer just the 'chip'.

iLotus reference from WIKI

http://ilotus.com.sg/images/M12MT_compressed.pdf

Check the Wiki for he VCXO's suggested from VF and Crystek

Thanks
Eric - AA4SW