[hpsdr] 1pps

michael taylor mctylr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 17:38:26 PDT 2007

On 6/15/07, Chris Bartram <chris at chris-bartram.co.uk> wrote:
> then becomes possible to move from the use of the frequency locked loop used
> in most existing designs to 'discipline' an external standard to GPS, to a
> phase locked loop. This allows the use of much larger loop bandwidths, and
> thus reduces the demands on the VCTCXO.

The only amateur frequency standard that I know of that uses a FLL is
Bert, VE2ZAZ's which appears in September/October 2006 edition of QEX.
 <http://www3.sympatico.ca/b.zauhar/GPS_Std/GPS_Std.htm>

Brooks Sheera's <http://www.rt66.com/%7Eshera/index_fs.htm>
uses a PLL, and I don't think the TAPR TAC-2 offered an oscillator controller.

> As an example of a suitable GPS receiver look at the Navsync CW12-TIM. The
> current quoted 1off price from the UK distributor is ~100euro. The internal
> NCO will produce 1pps synchronous outputs up to 10MHz with very small jitter.

Thanks, I look at that module before and totally missed the internal
NCO feature. And I never inquired about it because I have no idea of
the pricing.