[hpsdr] Demeter: PSU's

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 14:05:23 PDT 2007

At 06:35 AM 6/25/2007, Andreas Troschka wrote:

>Let me spend my 50Cents on this topic too.
> >From the reading of the various posts showing pros and cons of
> linear and switching power supply technologies I could notice that
> one important point has been disregarded, EMI.

I disagree, it was heavily discussed a few weeks ago.

>This behaviour causes strong RF harmonics generation. Efficiently
>shielding of such a circuit is far from being such simple as it may seem.

But it CAN be done, and it can be quite effective.

>I'm not sustaining the idea it is impossible to use some switching
>circuits in the power supply without getting significant noise
>increase. It is my conviction it's not worth the effort.

It depends what your needs are.  As a data point, I myself have run a
switchmode supply for 3 years.  This supply is a 40A unit, running at
around 14.3V DC (I tweaked it up because I have a standby power
system on it that had a Shottky diode in the supply path).

As for noise, the supply is extremely quiet.  These particular units
were obtained cheaply from a local electronics outlet, and a couple
of local hams put them under the microscope, as they had the exact
same concerns expressed here.  Both physical examinations and various
tests were performed.

Physically, at least 5 RFI suppression networks were identified (as
you say, it takes a lot of effort to do properly).

As for on air testing, everyone (including myself) who has tested
these supplies has found the spurious outputs to be well below the
local noise floor on any band.  For the purpose of my tests, HF was
the primary focus (as that's where I expected the worst
problems).  The spurs are only detectable (and weakly at that) if no
antenna is used.  I cartainly was unable to see any difference
between the linear supply and the switchmode supply on receive.  On
Tx however, there is a world of difference.  The linear supply gets
extremely hot under high duty cycle, even down to 5A load (it's
capable of 20A).  The switchmode supply handles over 30A and stays
cool as a cucumber.  In fact, the main limitation I've seen is I need
to use heavier cabling. :-)

I want to get a second switcher for the second shack, so I can crank
the power up on some other links. :)

As one of my requirements is for high duty cycle operations (comes
from running VoIP gateways), the switchmode has the greatest overall
advantage.  Also, because space is limited, the lower weight and lack
of a 50 Hz transformer (and its associated magnetic field) are also
of advantage to me.

Horses for courses.  Every choice is a compromise, and my experience
still leaves me favouring a switchmode supply, even after considering
the downsides (EMI, etc).  Yes, it takes effort to keep the RFI/EMI
from getting out of the supply, but there are some talented people
here, and the effort is worth it.

Probably a bigger issue is the safety aspect of building the supply,
and from that PoV, it might be better looking at a choice of linear
supply for the low current components (Atlas and everything connected
to it except the PA), or a DC-DC converter for portable/mobile/shack
supply operation.  That also allows us to choose what route we want
to go.  I would consider a low current linear supply for everything
except the PA.  For serious power, the economics and weight don't work for me.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com