[hpsdr] Schematic capture software

Murray Lang murray.lang at metoceanengineers.com
Sun Jun 24 18:43:31 PDT 2007

Chris Albertson wrote:

> --- Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix at inet.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> I would like to make my own audio board to use with Atlas and Ozy, so
>> I  am looking for a freeware ECAD package.
>>

> I'm starting a new project too and didn't like the EDA software I was
> using
> so I looked around and found "Kicad" and I'm in the process of learning
> how
> to use it.  It woks well on my Linux system and my next step will be to
> try in under Mac OS X.
>
> There are many free schematic capture and PCb layout packages offered
> by the companies that make quick turnaround prototype PCBs.  But watch
> out many of them don't make industry standard files and most are closed
> source Windows only

$0.02:
The difficulty I had with Kicad was with its handling of power pins on
multi-part ICs. On the schematic you either had to show the power pins
on *all* of the parts (even though there is only one power pin) or show
*no* power pins (with the power to each of parts associated by a common
name). For me this meant either an over-complicated and confusing
diagram or one that left out power supply information.

It was quite a while ago that I tried it so maybe it has improved by
now. I liked it otherwise.

Regards
Murray - VK6HL