[hpsdr] SDR-1000 /Janus TX noise sidebands

Al K0VM at arrl.net
Sat Jun 30 13:05:05 PDT 2007

In an attempt to suppress the high freq noise, I constructed an RC 30
Khz low pass filter to insert in the TX I & Q lines. The exact corned
freq is a bit unknown since it is dependent on the the output impedance
of the ADC in Janus.
Attachment one, 'RC Low Pass_', is the low pass filed which plugs into
the back of the SDR-1000.  ( 560 ohm series R, .01 uf shunt C )
Attachment two, 'SDR TX Janus w filter_' is the spectrum of the SDR
output with the filter installed ( 1 Mhz per horizontal division ).
Compare to 'SDR TX W-Janus_' in original message.
Attachment three, 'SDR TX Janus w Filter_1' is the same except the scale
is 50 Khz per division.

The TX spectrum of D44 is also improved with the low pass filter.

  This is only to suggest that improvements in the TX spectra are
possible.  Further refinement of the low pass filter is required. Items
for consideration include but not limited to sound device output
impedance,  SDR-1000 input impedance, component tolerance ( for
phase/gain tracking), optimum corner frequency (it may need to be higher
for AM/FM modes which are generated at an offset from the DDS frequency ).

AL, K0VM