[hpsdr] Intelligent or dumb Alex, food for thought...

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:36:30 PST 2007

Hi All,

I see a lot of discussion about Alex around a number of points:

- On-board intelligence (CLPD) and flexibility versus "dumb" control
- Which band pass filter frequency ranges to implement
- Space requirements

Also there was a request to have the band pass filter center frequency
automatically adjust to the RX frequency in use.

Yes, you saw this one comin'........... ;-)

If we were going to have on-board intelligence anyway, would it be a more
strait forward solution in this case to have this CLPD control one (or two,
for dual RX)  say ~0 to ~30 MHz "CLPD-tunable" band pass filter's, instead
of controlling (switching) a number of fixed band pass filters?

Would this be doable and practical?

- Less required space?
- Only one (or two) RF-shielded compartments
- All band
- Performance w.r.t. noise (From control lines)?
- Flexibility, selection of passband slope/center frequency position w.r.t.
RX frequency
- No (non-) overlap issues

Just some food for thought....

Henry.