[hpsdr] Future projects?

Naylor Jonathan naylorjs at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 13:50:49 PDT 2007

Hi All

I've been doing some thinking today about a couple of side projects
that I think would benefit the SDR community. Let me run them past you.

1. Define a network protocol, or take an existing one, for moving audio
data between separate machines. This would allow for using (say) WSJT
on a different machine to the SDR DSP processing. Such a protocol
should include a negotiation system so that sample formats and sample
rate information can be passed before the actual data. For use on a
LAN, UDP would make sense for the audio data itself. As well as
individual programs supporting it, a plug-in for Jack could also be
written to use it.

2. Define and produce an open-source digital audio system. I am fearful
that a proprietary system will eventually become the standard, and that
isn't in keeping with ham spirit (IMNSHO). I'm sure we can find an
adequate open-source codec (Speex?) and cross platform libraries exist
so that producing software for all of the major platforms would be
relatively straightforward.

I would happily help with such projects, and surely there must be some
developers out there that want to contribute to moving SDRs and amateur
radio in general, forward.

Comments please.

Jonathan   ON/G4KLX