[hpsdr] KICAD

brainerd at wildblue.net brainerd at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 10 15:51:44 PST 2007

  I have been using KICAD for a little while now and found it to be very
capable.  Yes, the library lacks a lot of parts. But, if is quite easy to add your
own parts to the library.  If you set up the schematic correctly and identify
and/or create all of your footprints, it's straight forward to create the netlist in
the schematic capture and go to the PCB program and create a board.  I
don't use the autorouter or autoplace.  But, having the netlist from the
schematic capture makes it easy to know what to connect where and vastly
reduces errors.
  Don't remember what problems the Phills had.  One thing about KICAD is if
a problem is discovered, there is an open developer group that will fix the
problem in a short time.
  A common open source schematic capture and pcb layout program would
allow a lot more people to work on a project with common tools.

Dave - WB6DHW
<http://users.wildblue.net/wb6dhw>