[hpsdr] Ozy with Gb Ethernet

Eric Blossom eb at comsec.com
Thu Mar 15 07:28:27 PDT 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 08:11:38AM -0400, jeff millar wrote:

> The question becomes, what does software do with a 1000bT firehose of bandwidth?  I think we need to
> calculate the maximum data rate that the current SDR algorithms can support.  Since they generally
> hook to audio A/D with rates in the KHz range, it will probably take a lot of work by Moore's Law
> before processors can deal with 10s of MHz sample rates.
>
> I think 100bT will support any processor out there for the foreseeable future.
>
> jeff, wa1hco

Nice summary of ethernet.

FYI, the Cell processor (PS3), can sustain about 30 GFLOPS.
That goes a long way towards handling high sample rates...

This paper argues for processors with 1000's of cores per chip:
"The Landscape of Parallel Computing Research: A View from Berkeley"
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2006/EECS-2006-183.html

Eric, K7GNU