[hpsdr] Pheonix synthesiser

Grant Hodgson grant at ghengineering.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 00:50:02 PDT 2007

Brian

Interesting comment about IMD2 and dithering.  The new generation of
Fractional-N PLLs such as the LMX2486 and the AD4252 also have a
dithering function; the LMX2486 has two dithering settings - 'weak' and
'strong', as well as 'off'.  Dithering is provided to reduce fractional
spurs at the cost of a slightly increased noise level; however my
measurements to date on a 2.3GHz LO indicate that the level of noise
increase is much smaller than the reduction in spurs, which makes it a
very useful feature.

It would be very interesting to measure the IMD2 of a receiver with a
dithered Fractional-N PLL.

For the Pheonix synthesiser there may have to be an engineering
trade-off between cost/complexity and performance.  If a single-loop
microwave PLL is used then the close-in phase noise will be determined
by the PLL IC, and with current technology this will give a phase noise
performance worse than the Orion, and possibly worse than the SDR-1000,
especially on the higher bands such as 28MHz.  But this may be
acceptable for the Pheonix receiver, and should give a very acceptable
LO performance.

The real difficulty is with Horton, where the aim is to have a top-notch
receiver which obviously requires a top-notch LO.  In order to get a
top-notch LO it will be necessary to adopt something more sophisticated
such as a dual-loop microwave PLL.  I believe that this approach will
give a receiver that is better than the SDR-1000 and the Orion.

regards

Grant  G8UBN

  --snip--