[hpsdr] ALEX - Call for comments

Henry Vredegoor henry_vredegoor at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 20:40:32 PST 2007

Hello Graham,

Thank you for starting this project!

My first thoughts for Alex at this moment:

- Could you/anybody please provide links/references to or add
diagrams/info/core-specs here or to the WIKI of the original filter designs?

- About shielding:
In a "computer-signals infested environment" like the HPSDR/Atlas card cage
with al its processors, clocks, data/address lines etc., I would suggest
putting the individual filter sections in closed compartments, if possible,
avoiding noise pick-up by the RF-coils?
Be it at the cost of more space required. (see expandability)

- For this reason also no SMD components (of the filter sections at least
that is) outside on the back side of the board?

- top-side = ground-plane/shield?

- Would using relays lower the losses/noise and allow for more TX-power?

- What would be the estimated TX-power allowed?

- Max. Expected/targeted usable frequency?

- Expandability, using more daisy chained boards for more bands?

- Guidelines to change/make custom band pass-filter sections?

Maybe with the help of something similar like this I found on the net:

http://www.aade.com/filter.htm

It looks like a handy (and FREE!) tool to design custom (band pass-)filters,
gives you amongst other things the number of turns on a standard type
ferrite O-core (like I think used in the band pass-filters of the
SoftRocks).
Not tested/used this though...

- There was a discussion on the SoftRock Yahoo group about some static over
voltage protection circuitry in front of the receiver which could be a good
thing to include here also.
Or maybe this should be part of a separate (sturdy) mounting bracket for the
antenna- (BNC socket('s) ) and earthing connections?

(I made the following suggestion there to call it Cyberus (Cerberus) .......
Defender of the gate that leads from RF-space to Cyberspace.........  ;-) )

Regards,

Henry.

-