[hpsdr] Bare Board people

Jason Hitesman jason at hitesman.com
Mon Mar 5 21:25:10 PST 2007

On 3/5/07, S. Cash Olsen <kd5ssj at zianet.com> wrote:

> In my tutorial on this soldering method I suggest a beverage warmer, which
> is to small for these boards so I'll have to do some retail research to come
> up with a suitable substitute, I'm thinking that a coffee maker warming
> plate might do the trick but that needs to be tried.

Good links Cash.  I was already thinking about putting some links to
that kind of info on there at the bottom along with the other
resources.  Yours and Cecils will be good starting places.

I've used the hot air method on my DDS-60 before and loved it.  But I
wasn't able to find a beverage warmer.  I just kind of "eyeballed" it
on varying the distance with the hot air.  I have an IR non-contact
thermometer now though so that should help me be a little more
consistent.  I'm considering an electric skillet to replace the
beverage warmer.

BTW - I've been meaning to ask you.  How warm does the beverage warmer
get the board?  I didn't find that info on your page.  I see a lot of
candle warmers that look similar locally for next to nothing, but
wonder if they're in the same temp range.

> I may also be able to assist in kitting of some of the descrete passive
> parts and some of the semiconductor components. I'll keep you informed when
> I know something definite.

Good to know.  When the TAPR partial kits run out the Janus will be
next to impossible to build afford ably without at least a 100 kit buy
in due to the VXCO.  Not sure if the minimums on the other parts I
haven't looked up yet are any worse or not. I'm not in the development
enough to know how much interest TAPR has on this in the future.  But
as a consumer I'm all for seeing various third party offerings
leveraging the open nature of the project to keep it advancing!

And there's also Ozy and future boards to think about as well.

----
Jason Hitesman
N8INJ