[hpsdr] Bare Board people

Christopher T. Day CTDay at LBL.Gov
Mon Mar 5 21:43:15 PST 2007

Jason,

Sounds exactly right. I did have to order two extra ferrites and one
extra electrolytic, but that was far fewer than from DigiKey. The VXCO
seems to have gone out of single-unit access, but, as you note, TAPR has
anticipated that.

A couple of other notes about the LEDs. First, they are yellow only
because I find all red to be boring. There is a whole series of
essentially equivalent LEDs in different colors; as long as you don't go
for blue, they are all pretty cheap. The part numbers only differ in the
letter - CKT for red, GKT for green YKT for yellow, AKT for amber, KFKT
for orange. The other thing to note is that I went for the LTST-C171
series, which are thinner, but more importantly, have the CATHODE
marked. The LEDs that TAPR bought a truckload of have the ANODE marked
[go figure]. So just remember which you've got when installing them.

	Chris - AE6VK

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Hitesman [mailto:jason at hitesman.com]
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 8:22 PM
To: Christopher T. Day
Cc: hpsdr at hpsdr.org
Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Bare Board people

On 3/1/07, Christopher T. Day <CTDay at lbl.gov> wrote:

> Actually, this one is a little better as it has the corrected
resistors
> for the PWM filters. Also, this has the ultra low noise op amps; these
> are much cheaper if ordered directly from Linear Technologies.

Thanks Chris, I finally had a bit of time to give a try on your
version of the BOM today.  Mousers BOM import worked easily but did
have two minor issues.  One very minor, the yellow LED is backordered.
 I'm sure finding a suitable replacement for that will be simple.

The bigger problem is the  VCS25AXT-128 12.288MHZ Fox Voltage
Controlled Clock Oscillator which at near $9 wouldn't be a problem
except for only being available in quantities of 100.  But since
that's available in the TAPR kit I'm not too concerned.  The total for
parts from Mouser comes to $35.31

The Digi-key side did well also.  There were only two items that
needed massaging.  The EMI filters digi-key part number P9830CT-ND of
which 8 are required but the minimum order is 10.  At $0.68 each
that's less than  $1.50 wasted and not a huge deal.  Not sure if
anyone would be able to find a small quantity substitute or not to try
and save that dollar and a half.  The other digi-key problem was with
565-2411-1-ND C18-21 of which 4 are required but the minimum order is
5.  They're only $0.17 each so I doubt it's worth anyones time to try
and find a substitute!  So even with the waste this is only $2 in
unneeded parts when building one board.  The total for this from
Digikey comes to $32.84

Mouser: $35.31
Digikey: $32.84
----------------------
Subtotal: $68.15

This does NOT include the A/D converter U7 (AKM AK5394A) and the VCXO
XO1 (CVXO-018TX-50- 12.288) as they are included in the TAPR kit.  The
VCXO I will include in the form on the page I'm putting together.  But
I doubt anyone will order it unless they're doing a group buy for
others due to the 100 part minimum.  The AKM as I understand it is not
available from mouser or digikey and would have to be ordered in
larger quantities direct from the mfg.

Additionally the Dallas DS2431P+ and Linear tech LT1128CS8#PBF-ND are
not included in this as Chris indicated they were better purchased
direct from the manufacturer.

If the shipping from mouser and digikey plus the Dallas and LT parts
are less than $40 then this would save a little over the completed
board for those on a budget.  But at this point there is a practical
enough way to order parts that I'm going to put together a finished
version of the interactive BOM this week.

I'd like to do this for Ozy as well if anyone on the list has a parts
list that's already been massaged for optimal small quantity ordering.

I'd also appreciate any feedback on the parts as listed on Chris'
version of the BOM.  I will work on a having a completed web page
incorporating both mouser and digikey ordering on one page sometime
this week.  (Maybe tonight...but I'm getting tired and it's my
birthday so I don't think I'll be staying in front of the computer
much longer!)

For those who can't wait here's a quick and dirty Digi-key page for
Chris' version of the Janus BOM with digi-key, mouser and other
information all somewhat sorted if not very well presented:
http://yumaduners.com/jth_upload/hpsdr/janus_bom_ae6vk.html

Again and still feedback is much appreciated as is info for Ozy or other
boards!

----
Jason Hitesman
N8INJ