[hpsdr] Bare Board people

S. Cash Olsen kd5ssj at zianet.com
Tue Mar 6 07:12:48 PST 2007

Jason and group,

The beverage warmer was in plentiful supply last year at Wal-mart but seems
unubtainum this year, the candle warmers are a close fit and approximately
the same function. A small chunk of aluminun with a diameter that will fit
in the warmer surface and thick enough to get over the lip of the warmer and
a second plate of aluminum big enough to hold the board will help adapt the
warmer to bigger jobs. Allow significantly more warm up time with the
adaptor.

The temperature that you are shooting for with a warming device is about 100
degrees C. At this temperature you are somewhat less than half the solder
melting temperature, but well within the working and storage temperatuers of
all of the components on the board. That means that the board and parts
could set on the warmer all day and not be harmed or destroyed.

The warmers have the virtue of using a relatively small amount of power and
self regulate their temperature. The downside of the skillet or toaster oven
is that they are capable of heats that are excessively hot and can destroy
boards and parts.

To test and adjust a skillet without fancy equipment use a water droplet, if
it sets on the skillets surface and just quickly evaporates it about the
right temperature, if it hopps around and dances and evaporates in seconds
it to hot. I have seen where guys uses the skillet (as with a toaster oven)
to warm the boards and then turn up the heat to melt the solder. I have not
experimented with this myself. I think in theory that it should work, but
the most likely downside is that the temperature ramp up is to fast or to
slow and I'm quite sure the ramp down is way to slow. You don't want to move
the baord until the solder has solidified, or you'll end up with a board
full of crystallized (cold) solder joints.

To calibrate the upper temperature setting without fancy equipment, make a
test board, almost any scrap of printed circuit board with SMT pads will do.
I have even used boards with chips mounted, old cell phones and such. Turn
the temperature up until you get solder melt, it should be obvious and the
parts will come loose or the paste will turn silver. Now you know where the
temperature is high enough. You don't need or want the temperature to go any
higher. Then experiment to find the settings that give you the proper ramp
rate up and down. Like I mentioned I think the tough part is the ramp rate
down. Remember that the temperature does not have to come back to room
temperature but back to the storage temperature (<150 degrees C for most
components) is good enough.

For heavens sake, experiment on some junk before you try this on you Janus
or Ozy boards. The parts were designed to be soldered once, after that you
stand to degrade or destroy them. So do it right the first time, if you can.
Using a skillet or toaster oven do not easily adapt to doing sections of the
board and testing but the hot air method can be used to do sections if
certain cautions are observed.

Cash Olsen KD5SSJ / AAR6AP/T

Kits to build Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer http://www.zianet.com/erg
Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer website http://www.cpu-net.com/host/wsprowls