[hpsdr] ALEX - Call for comments

Joe Barger barger at aero.org
Tue Mar 6 14:37:28 PST 2007

Graham,

Thanks for taking this on.  My own inputs follow:

> 4.) Should we allow for multiple antenna inputs? - we could
> select each one on a Tx/Rx and band basis using a GUI on the PC.

I like the idea of selecting antennas on a tx/rx/band basis.  It's very
common on 160m and 80m to use seperate rx and tx antennas.  Generally there
are different physical antennas for 160, 80, 40/30, 20-10 and 6, so it would
be nice to have seperate antennas for each, but 5+ connectors may get to be
unwieldly.

> 5.) Using Mercury as a base line, we have an MDS of -140dBm in
> 500Hz without Alex in circuit. Alex will degrade this by say
> 2.5dB on 6m due to the loss through the filter and RF
> switches.  Is an MDS of -137.5dBm acceptable on 6m or should we
> consider adding a low noise preamp after the 6m filter?

My preference would be a low noise "strong" preamp for all bands that could
be switched out.  Useful on 6, but also useful on certain 160 or 80 rx
antennas such as beverages.

73

joe n6kk