[hpsdr] ALEX - Call for comments

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 19:10:33 PST 2007

> 1.) Is ten filter sections enough?  If more is needed, will
> there be any issues going to a longer card, such as the 160
mm
> length card proposed for Penelope?

"I feel that only covering the (existing) ham bands is a big
loss. There should be "N" (where N >= 10) filters with
overlapping coverage from LW to VHF (60 Mhz). Doing anything
else simply reduces the target audience for the whole system.
If an outboard box is needed, no problem, all that is needed
is a clever/generic way to bring out the control signals from
the Alex card. Perhaps enough control/addressing lines can be
brought out to allow an auto-tuner like functionality with an
external box if someone wants more front-end selectivity than
can be fit into the current form factor."

I like the idea of having a matrix of relay switched L and C
that can be programmed to make what ever type of band pass
filtering that is desired. I suspect that this will require
the use of an external box to fit all the parts.

Could it be possible to build such a filter system that could
be either narrow banded like tracking preselector or more
broadbanded like the typical radio's front end BP filtering
is today??

Duane
N9DG