[hpsdr] ALEX - Call for Comments - III

Pieter Ibelings sietetrescincoprimo at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 07:56:30 PST 2007

Larry,

Most NP0 and C0G capacitors have extremelly low distortions. I have
performed tests on these type caps with as many as 132 carriers and 0dBm
each and the performance is very very good. As you start going up in value,
the materials required to increase the capacitance per unit area become more
and more unstable and non linear. Some of these materials exhibit a
capacitance over voltage characteristic. So as the voltage on the cap
varies, so does the capacitance. This tends to created mixing products since
a change in capacitance (modulated by one carrier's voltage) causes the
whole filter/resonator to be modulated in phase and amplitude.
An even bigger problem are the ferrite beads that are used in the high value
chip inductors. These can have very non linear characteristics specially if
the core is conductive and the enamel coated wire touches the core.
The powder iron cores from Micrometals are also extremelly good as well as
the wirewound surface mount inductors that have no ferrite.

Pieter, N4IP