[hpsdr] ALEX - Non Linear Capacitors

Graham Haddock grahamh at verizon.net
Thu Mar 8 09:03:06 PST 2007

There were several war stories told in the ALEX
discussions about field problems with "non-linear"
capacitors and the resulting degradation of IP3
in a preselector.  Someone said that they did not
understand how a capacitor could be non-linear.

So I did a little research.

Well, if your mama told you that capacitor values
stayed constant with voltage, she didn't tell you
the whole truth.

Did you ever wonder what all the different kinds
of dielectrics in the chip capacitors in the
Mouser Catalog were all about?

Did you ever hear of "Voltage coefficient of Capacitance" ?

Read the following single page ".pdf" files.

http://www.niccomp.com/Products/General/NPOvolt-capcoeff1200.pdf

http://www.niccomp.com/Products/General/X7Rvolt-capcoeff1200.pdf

http://www.niccomp.com/Products/General/Y5Vvolt-capcoeff1200.pdf

Well, NPO (C0G) capacitors are what you thought a capacitor
was all about.  This is EIA Catagory I - Ultra Stable

The XR7 and Y5V capacitors are EIA Catagory II - Stable

Apparently "Stable" is a relative term.  ;-)
They could be used as varactors !

If you put anything other than an NPO (C0G) capacitor
into a tuning or critical filter circuit bad things
can happen.

XR7 capacitors work great for bypass caps.  If you use
them for RC bandpass filtering at baseband, some goofy things
could happen.  They are sold in values down to 47 pF.
Beware.

--- Graham / KE9H

==