[hpsdr] Ozy with Gb Ethernet

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 16:24:00 PST 2007

JDB

WOW $50 is a lot more in my category than $450! 100 should do it!

Good stuff!

Eric - AA4SW

>I really think that a GbE card is overkill this design. A 10/100BT
>card might be better using an ARM7 processor and could be done
>fairly easily, at lower cost. I'll continue my research and welcome
>all input.

Although using a PHY directly hooked to an FPGA like the Virtex4
devkits have it is quite versatile, a much simpler solution is to use
an integrated MAC/PHY Ethernet chip, such as one of these:

http://www.davicom.com.tw/eng/products/dm9000.htm
http://www.smsc.com/main/catalog/lan9218.html

Add a simple microcontroller to supply an UDP Multicast header and a
CPLD plus FIFO to DMA the sample data straight into the Ethernet
chip's transmit buffer. A simple header board for one of these is
available here:

http://www.olimex.com/dev/dm9000e-h.html

JDB.
[doing something similar for a 100Mbit version of
http://ronja.twibright.com/ ]