[hpsdr] [OT] Ozy with Gb Ethernet - Shielded LAN

Mike Naruta mnaruta at comcast.net
Sun Mar 11 13:10:35 PDT 2007

Speaking of noisy Ethernet, does anyone have a
good source for shielded LAN cables (RJ-45)?

I have a lot of my segment shielded, but I am
having a hard time finding more shielded cable.
The local stores, even the geek hang-out, only
carry unshielded.

I am not thrilled with the idea of buying Category 7
cable to get shielded, especially when only half
of the pairs are used.

If I can't get economic pre-made cables with a shield,
how about a good source of two-pair, individual shield
cable?  I would be willing to crimp the RJ-45s on.

I'm using some nice Belden individually-shielded TP with
Datalene for a 150 foot buried run between the houses,
but that was a pull-out from work, and I don't want
to pay $1+ a foot for cable.

Mike - AA8K

Oh, I even replaced all of my TelCo and alarm wiring
with shielded.  At the RJ-11s I add a clamp-on Ferrite
on the cord to the phone.

My previous house had coax for the electrical power
wiring.  I'd never seen that style before.  The neutral
was stranded and wrapped around the hot wire.  It was
nice and quiet.  Sure beats the knob-and-tube we had
when I was on the farm.  We were in a TV fringe area
and I had quiet hours from my folks.  My mom's sewing
machine RFI got me back for my TVI.  Then there was
the neighbor's electric fence...