[hpsdr] preselectors

Graham Haddock grahamh at verizon.net
Mon Mar 12 11:42:57 PDT 2007

Henry:

Besides the ones you already mentioned, some additional things to think
about are the series resistance of a solid state switch.  The "switch"
is usually
a FET of some kind, which will have a series on-resistance of a fraction
of an ohm to several ohms.  This series resistance causes losses,
or can reduce the "Q" of a resonator if used for tuning.

The on-resistance can be a function of applied voltage, thereby introducing
additional distortion/mixing not associated with relays.

Price - solid state switches can be cheaper than relays these days, in
addition
to much smaller and faster.

The parasitic capacitance and inductance of a relay is quite different than
a solid state switch.  Unless the relay is a specifically designed to be an
RF relay, the parasitics are usually less with the solid state switch,
and it
is easier to go higher in frequency with the solid state switch due to
smaller
size, and ability to get the controlled impedance transmission line
much closer to the switch element.

--- Graham

==