[hpsdr] Export experts?

John Koster w9ddd at tapr.org
Tue Mar 13 06:57:07 PDT 2007

Thanks for the comments.

I've pretty much had my own experience validated as to the use of USPS for
international shipping via the comments received so far.

The one issue which I haven't had time to check is the case where several
people from the same area have pooled their orders.

The amount of insurance that can be applied to a package varies from
country to country according to the USPS web site.  In the two specific
cases I've checked so far, the limit is low enough to only cover one or
two sets of Janus+Ozy.

As time allows it is my intention to check each destination with orders
for more than one set to see what the insurance limit might be.  Then
contact the parties involved to see how we work things out.  It may be
that in those particular cases one of the other carriers would be
preferred.  One can assume an order for 4 sets won't slip through customs
via USPS in those cases.

I thought I'd use this opportunity to give some of you a heads up on this
issue.

If you want to discuss your particular situation, send the mail direct to
the tapr office.  Replying to the order acknowledgement you received will
be the best way to do that, since I can then sort on subject to match it
up in the hpsdr order folder.

John, W9DDD at the tapr office.

 On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Jeroen Bastemeijer wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Based on recent experience: USPS has the biggest chance on small
> packages not being caught by the customs. Never had this kind of luck
> with UPS or DHL. USPS is not always the fastest, but in my opninion
> reliable enough. Not willing to start a big  discussion at this moment,
> as shipping is scheduled somewhere in May, there is some time left. I
> thought the group might be interested....
>
> 73's Jeroen PE1RGE

John, W9DDD