[hpsdr] Pandora Enclosure Project Proposal.

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 18:05:53 PDT 2007

Ben/All

My thinking also with the extra slots, is that someone in a small apartment
without a machine shop can cut the 'lands' out between the slots with very
simple tools, and file off the slightly rough edge to form a rectangle. It
is a LOT easier than cutting a big rectangular hole in an existing plate of
aluminum or steel. You don't have to be a craftsman to work on these things,
hand tools will be enough.

I absolutely *love* the idea for more than six slots.  There are so many
PC accessories that could be adapted to the extra slots.  The only
problem would be adapting the PC accessories to mount to the End Panel,
as it will probably lack the hole at the bottom where the tab of the PC
accessory goes as well as the angle bracket at the top to accept the
screw that will hold down the PC accessory.

*A pair of pliers, vise grips, or a C-clamp can take the L out and make it
*an I. A hacksaw, possibly heavy jawed cutting pliers, can easily cut it
*off. Most of these brackets are fairly light duty and easily bent and/or
*cut. The spring, snap in blanks are really easy to slip in closing the
*hole, snapped out again easily to mount a NEW PROJECT CARD YEA GO GO!, or a
*few *added connectors.
*It depends on whether you mount outside or inside, most of the fans would
*have to be screwed into the slot on the inside, since that is the way they
*were designed to mount in a case. We wouldn't be able to 'slip' it through
*the slot. A couple of C clamps and a 2x4 are an adequate 'drill press'
*table to drill the bottom mount hole in a blank.

I'm going to peruse the local compu-outlets and see how we can modify
these type things to work without the tab and the angle bracket.  Maybe
we'll have to design a Close Out strip that accepts a PC card-type
accessory with the angle bracket cut off or bent up?

*This will require some additional COTS thougts! A piece of 1/2 inch
*aluminum flat bar, from the hardware confectionary?

Also, the extra slots could also be the openings needed to get signals
out from an Alex-type board out to another enclosure.  Let's see how
many slots will fit.  Why not?  We can always blank off what we don't use!

*Yep! All sorts of smoke and light, and wire can come out of the brackets!
*If we wanted another product, we could probably supply the screw on blanks!

Thanks
Eric