[hpsdr] synthesizers.

pvharman at arach.net.au pvharman at arach.net.au
Tue Mar 27 18:16:37 PDT 2007

Phil N8VB and I have been testing a CORDIC DDS FPGA GPL core written by Darrell
Harmon for a Spectrum Analyzer project he is working on - see

< http://dlharmon.com/ >

Darrell's implementation is very good with a tiny number of spurs all ~120dB
down over the range 0 - 55MHz (in practice these will be below the band noise
of the receiver). At the moment we are both using this as the complex
oscillator in the Mercury receiver.

Since the CORDIC takes ADC samples directly and converts them into I and Q
there is no need for a DAC to convert the DDS output into a sine wave. The fact
we don't need a DAC eliminates the spurs that this would otherwise produce.

By using a high quality reference oscillator for the CORDIC we can also get low
phase noise. This now seems a very viable alternative to a synthesizer.

73's Phil..VK6APH