[hpsdr] DIYers - OZY and JANUS work

Horst Gruchow horst at needles.de
Wed May 16 03:23:31 PDT 2007

Hi DIYers,
good news from my OZY and JANUS: they work!!!!!
On Monday night I soldered in the missing 3.3 Volt LDO Regs and could not withstand
plugging the boards one by one into ATLAS. JANUS lit up without any troubles. Everything checked with
my fingers; nothing got hot. So I left it in ATLAs for a while and admired myself for the good work :-).
Current draw was in a good low range; so I switched off, unplugged JANUS and replaced it with OZY.

While touching the 3.3 V reg I flipped the switch and after 3 seconds the reg got hot. Current draw was around
500 mA. So I switched off immediately and my self-admiration was gone. Sh.........

I started looking over the board for the 577th time in order to discover something faulty. Nothing could be seen.
Mumble, grumble etc. I switched off everything and went to bed.
Must have been a very creative and prohpetic sleep. Before I went to work the next morning I took the photo of OZY which
I had posted last Saturday, looked at it and the evidence was there immediately: "Check the FPGA EEPROM U1" my
little man in the back of my head told me.
Running upstairs to my shack and checking was done in a minute. Gosh, I had soldered it in backward. I had double, triple, quadruble and more
checked and still did it wrong. I double-checked again with the datasheet: no error possible, it was wrong.

Last night after work I desoldered U1, plugged OZY in and everything was OK. No hot fingers, nothing. So I took a new EEPROM and soldered it in.
OZY back into ATLAS, J23 and J24 jumper setting checked and USB plugged in was done in a minute and - wonder, wonder - OZY started to
enumerate on my PC. The new HPSDR USB driver could be loaded, initozy.bat worked just fine.

Great job done by all the ingeninous minds in digital radio desing and pcb layout. Thanks, guys.

I have a long free weekend now and will JTAG Janus so that everything comes together.

73
Horst
DL6KBF