[hpsdr] Pandora

Ben Hall kd5byb at bellsouth.net
Wed May 16 18:43:04 PDT 2007

Steve Nance wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Any news on the Pandora project?

Good evening Steve and gang!

Pandora continues to move forward, albeit very slowly in the past weeks.
  Over the last month, I've hit a rather busy spell both at work and at
home.  Plus to make matters worse, my mother-in-law had lightning hit
her house last week taking out just about everything electronic you
could think of!  Computers, TV's, phones, etc., plus it's got her AC
power so messed up she nearly got electrocuted unplugging a cordless
phone wall-wart!  (I turned this over to an electrician.)

Lightning is pretty rough stuff.  I hope everyone here has thought about
their ham gear and taken steps to abate lightning damage as much as
possible.

I hope to update the Pandora Wiki this weekend with the following:

* I spent a bit of time looking at Lansing enclosures and taking another
look at the Buckeye Shapeform line.  I had concluder earlier that both
were too expensive and not good fits.  Well, I reinforced that
conclusion one more time.  It looks like the BK-959 is still the
price/feature front-runner.

* I have a cardboard prototype of the End Panel sitting in a BK-959 with
my Atlas card and cardboard mock-ups of an HPSDR stack.  This model will
be made more realistic with the addition of a bare PCB Ozy and bare PCB
Janus.  I plan to populate these bare PCB's with the Eurocard connectors
as well as the output connectors.  (is there a BOM and suggested sources
of supply for Janus/Ozy?)  These two non-working but fully accurate
boards will allow me to design close-out strips for these two boards.

* Solid models will be in work shortly.  I wanted at least a
low-fidelity model for rough-fitting before committing to a solid model
of an enclosure.   Plus, now with a Janus/Ozy in hand, I can draw these
guys up too.  :)

thanks much!
ben
--