[hpsdr] Power Supply +/-12 vs. +/-15V

john_eckert at agilent.com john_eckert at agilent.com
Wed May 30 16:54:46 PDT 2007

I'm putting my HPSDR cards into a box with the SDR1000 stack.  Linear supply,
all HPSDR/Flex connections inside the box.

HPSDR has +/-12V power requirements. The Flex uses +/-15V for the INAs.

i.  So far it looks like the HPSDR cards have on board regulators and would
probably be OK with +/-15V.

ii.  I think the Flex INAs can be run at a reduced +/-12V.

DRAWBACKS:
i.  +/-15V to HPSDR.  Higher dissipation in on board reg's.  Could be an issue
with future HPSDR boards.

ii.  +/-12V to Flex. Less RX DNR?  More RX noise?  Anyone know?

I'm thinking I'll just run +/-12V to the Flex at this point or maybe split the
difference at +/-13.5V.  I love democracy!

Comments please.

73,
John
k2ox