[hpsdr] OZY reflow blows up the board

Gerd Loch g.loch at nt-electronics.de
Sun May 6 01:36:46 PDT 2007

Hi Horst,

if the board is manufactured properly (layer adhesion is according to
standards) there is the risk of delamination if there is too much humidity
incorporated in the board. This happens depending on relative humidity and
time of storage before soldering.

It is always a recommended procedure to bake the board at 120-130°C for
about 3 hours before assembling and soldering. Futhermore you should do the
same procedure with bga and other big chips because they could have a base
board of the same material and the same risk of delamination or popcorn
during the soldering process.

You should also be sure about the real (measured) temperture profile on your
board during the reflow process. It also depends on the amount of parts
assembled on the board and you have only assembled a few parts which could
result in a higher temperature.

If you have additional questions I will send you my tel.no. directly.

73 Gerd, DJ8AY