[hpsdr] OZY reflow blows up the board

Graham Haddock KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sun May 6 08:51:00 PDT 2007

Horst:

In addition to an improperly cured PCB, and/or a board that contained
a lot of moisture, as the others have already discussed, I suspect that
you are using a oven where the thermal heating coils are directly
exposed to the PCB.

This adds another variable of infrared absorption to the surface heating
of the PCB.

In other words, if the infrared absorption of the particular materials and
dyes used in this board were higher than average, the surface temperatures
soldering this board could have been much higher than your other boards,
and all the oven settings were still the same.  Your oven probably
measures air temperature, not the actual surface temperature of the board.

I suspect that the solder mask and possibly the screen printed legend
absorbed a lot more infrared energy than the boards you normally
solder, and contributed to much higher local temperatures than normal.
If the main heat transfer method is hot air, and the PCB is blocked from
"seeing" the heating coils then the surface temperatures would be a lot
more uniform.

It could have still been an improperly cured PCB and/or excess
moisture in the PCB, also.

--- Graham / KE9H

==