[hpsdr] Silly question from a learner

Don AE5K don at ae5k.us
Sun May 13 16:21:27 PDT 2007

Bill Tracey wrote, On 05/12/2007 09:07 PM:
> Ahhh - yes go ahead.  The Atlas is designed to be powered from a PC
> power supply.  If you want to make sure all is well,  connect the
> power supply to the Atlas with no cards installed in it and check the
> voltages on the Atlas bus connectors.  You should find:
>
> A1,C1: +12v
> A26,C26: -12v
> A28,C28 -5v
> A30, C30 +3.3v
> A32,C32 +5v
>
> Ozy and Janus only use the +12, -12 and +5 lines on the Atlas bus so
> you can get away without the other voltages.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill (kd5tfd)
>

> At 08:22 PM 5/12/2007, Clark Ward Jr wrote:
>> >From the documentation, it looks like I can plug a PC power supply
>> into Atlas to power everything.  I want to ask on the list so I can
>> get a "yes, go ahead" or a "heavens no!" before I fry my precious
>> Ozy and Janus.
>>
>> Thanks and 73 de KI4GYT Clark

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about:

(1) Over voltage protection.
(2) Short circuit protection.
(3) Voltage sequencing.

I usually don't give much thought when I plug another card into my PC's
bus (crossing my fingers on more expensive cards such as Delta 44), but
I am a little concerned with a $300+ investment on the Atlas bus.

Is there any possibility of damage to Ozy/Janus if one voltage should
fail and the others come up OK?

Don AE5K