[hpsdr] Ozy/Janus Operating Manual available for download

Joe - AB1DO ab1do at optonline.net
Wed May 16 06:05:38 PDT 2007

High Pete,
I have tried to answer your questions in line, but again I'm only the
messenger. Someone else may also want to jump in. Pointer on manual
indications is well taken and will be looked at when I get to revision 2.

Thanks,
73 de Joe - AB1DO

Peter Thompson wrote:

> Thanks for the great manual.  Now a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Are the various RX & TX calibration steps normally done via PowerSDR
> setup be performed when using ozy/janus?  Maybe this should be indicated
> in the manual.

[AB1DO] Yes, the various calibration steps are still necessary. These steps
(frequency, level and image reject), are all software (DSP) related.

> 2) Page 22 discusses sound card selection but does not discuss buffer
> size or sample rate.  Can I assume these are also configurable as before
> when using a conventional sound card?

[AB1DO] Sample rate is definitely valid with Janus, and if I'm not mistaken
audio buffer size is too.

> 3) There is a warning on Page 6 that discusses "...if your microphone
> plug uses tip and sleeve connections only..."  Is this referring to a
> MONO plug?  I have an adapter plug that converts my mono 1/4" mic plug
> to mono 3.5mm plug - can I use this (leaving the PTT jumper unset)?

[AB1DO] Yes, it refers to a MONO plug. If you insert a mono plug in the
JANUS mic/PTT jack, the sleeve of the mono plug will short the ring and
sleeve connections of that JANUS mic/PTT jack. If you have set the PTT
jumper to the ring setting, then the sleeve of the mono plug will
permanently connect PTT to ground, thus activating PTT. If you leave the PTT
jumper unset, however, (i.e. your mic has no PTT switch), then there should
be no issue and you can safely use your MONO mic plug.

> 4) Does the PowerSDR MOX button function as before or is some form of
> hardware PTT required?

[AB1DO] Yes, the SDR MOX button functions as before. When you click MOX on
the front console of PowerSDR, the software sends the appropriate control
command (either through the parallel port, the USB Adapter or Ozy, whichever
you are using), to set the TX/RX relay