[hpsdr] Cpu speed on laptop

michael taylor mctylr at gmail.com
Sat May 19 13:26:01 PDT 2007

On 5/19/07, Roland ETIENNE <roland.etienne at free.fr> wrote:
> re-installation, my processor was running at the lower speed (800 Mhz!)
> despite of the tuning of the power mode. Sometimes, I found that it was
> not very reactive...(and not so hot as before..)
>
> Yesterday, I have downloaded a soft (everest) which show me that cpu
> speed, and I finally got a soft on Medion site (PowerNow for AMD) which
> re-install the possibility to run at 1.8 Ghz. So now everything is fine,

The issue  also exists in Intel processors.  Intel Pentium M, Pentium
4, and Xeon, as well as embedded  (ARM, Geode, Elan, Crusoe)
processors in desktop systems also can vary their CPU clock frequency
for reduced power consumption and thermal management.

In Linux it is referred to as cpufreq, which I normally recommend is
disabled or forced to max clock frequency whenever you are using AC
(mains) power rather than battery power.

<http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/cpufreq/cpufreq.html>
<http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/cpu-freq/user-guide.txt>