[hpsdr] Pandora

Ben Hall kd5byb at bellsouth.net
Mon May 21 17:27:11 PDT 2007

Good evening Eric and gang!

Eric Ellison wrote:
> All's I know is we need to accelerate Pandora. She got a chuckle when Lyle
> presented HPSDR at the SDR forum on Saturday, but SERIOUS interest at the
> TAPR booth which Phil and I and Scotty and Steve and others manned at
> Dayton. It is remarkable that after getting, and answering, so many
> technical questions at the booth, about J/O, Pen, and Merc, the VERY next
> question is "Do you have a Case?".

Wow, that's great!  It probably would have been my next question after
asking about the boards too.

I agree about accelerating the design.  I may have an announcement
shortly on that front, must cross a few t's and dot a few i's first.

If no one has big-time objections to the BK-959, I'll suspend the search
for other vendors which is taking up a good chunk of my design time.

Thankfully, it's not taking all the design time:  spent Sunday looking
at the Atlas .drl file extracting x/y coordinates of the mounting holes
for the SolidWorks model and ordering connector parts for my Ozy/Janus
bare boards to serve as fit-check/measurement sample hardware.  :)

> I say go with the Ten-Tec with the blank being the 6 slots.

For sure, the Ten-Tec BK-959 is the front runner:

PRO's

* available off the shelf
* well-built
* about $50 for the base case (this may drop with quantity and the
elimination of the internal chassis pan if we go that way)

CON's

* must do a simple mod for grounding the clamshell top/bottom
* is a bit small in depth for an HPSDR with 220 mm long cards and front
panel controls

I think the BK959 is the best option - everything else gets *very*
custom and we start at $100 plus before we even talk front panels.

> Then after that,
> I feel that, even though 'blocky' the Flex-5000 enclosure looks pretty neat
> and is vertically segmented.

Not sure how I feel on the Flex-5000 enclosure.  I'll look at it and
think about it some more...

thanks and 73,
ben, kd5byb
--