[hpsdr] While waiting on the mighty THOR...

Don Kay - KI6FOM dbk-forums at cox.net
Sat May 26 10:50:32 PDT 2007

Kurt Loken wrote:
> Curious about the T/R relay...  Which one did you use?
>  Do you know how fast yours is?  The QRP rigs I've
> built used diodes or other circuitry to do their
> internal T/R switching.   I don't have any experience
> dealing with T/R switching when an external amp is
> involved.  I wonder how QSK a relay set up will be?
> Since the flexradio uses a relay, it can't be that
> bad.  A relay would be easier to deal with I would
> think.

Hi Kurt,
There is an app note for one of the other Motorola amps on
the CCI site that has integrated T/R switching using a relay
(see EB-63). I plan to experiment with that circuit using a
similar (but mostly unknown) relay that I have on hand here.
The performance may not be great but I thought I'd give it
a try. Anyway, at the speed I send CW you could chop off a
lot and no one would notice :-)

-don