[hpsdr] Power SDR software and flex radio policy for Ozy/Janus

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Mon May 28 09:49:25 PDT 2007

Michael/All

Yes, Phil Harman did confirm with Gerald and Eric at the FlexRadio meeting
that Janus/Ozy will be fully supported in future releases in their
'mainstream' releases of PowerSDR. Bill - KD5TFD will be working with Eric
from Flex to accomplish this. (Thanks Bill and Eric1!). At this point it is
not known exactly when, and what version the support will begin, but it will
happen.

I have been discussing this with the folks from FlexRadio, for the past
several months they require only that the HPSDR group do all the Janus/Ozy
support for all troubleshooting and support of the actual hardware project
and firmware. Therefore direct all questions regarding Janus/Ozy to this
forum, as folks have been doing and admirably responding.

Also they required a working set of the Janus/Ozy/Atlas set up and working.
The TAPR Board of Directors approved the expense and donation of a working
'product' to Flex for support and testing. Scotty, Phil and I hand carried
the working set which Scotty had been using for demonstration at Dayton to
FlexRadio at their booth at Dayton! Thanks TAPR and Scotty.

Although FlexRadio has discontinued selling the SDR-1000 when existing
stocks are sold, they will be supporting the SDR-1000 in the code for the
foreseeable future. The Flex-5000 series is also using PowerSDR code, and
common improvements made to the code for the 5000 series, will be included
in the SDR-1000 code, some of which have already been incorporated.

One of the real benefits of the HPSDR project is that the hardware being
generated in HPSDR can be of further benefit to SDR-1000 owners. The Epi
board for example forms a Universal Controller board and the Gibralter
should provide a ultra stable frequency/time reference.

HPSDR is a win-win for us SDR-1000 owners, as the SDR-1000 is a win-win
situation for the HPSDR Project allowing HPSDR to get to much more
'development' mass of boards produced.

The future of HPSDR is TRULY exciting. All we need now is more active
development, and volunteers, especially on Epi and Gibraltar! These two
projects will also work right into Penelope, and Mercury as they become
available later in the year!

Thanks
Eric - AA4SW