[hpsdr] Star-10 Transceiver article in QEX

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 16:44:26 PST 2007

Dear QEX Editor:

Cornell Drentea, designer of Dentron amplifiers, and one of the many who
claim to have invented DDS referenced PLL's (he has as good a case as
any) has shown a beautiful example of serious professional engineering
in his Star-10 article and he is to be congratulated on a brilliant
design and beautiful craftsmanship in building it.  It is a very clever
and beautifully done traditional design.

This notwithstanding, I have to say that I am particularly disappointed
that the editors of QEX allowed the tone of the article to go unchecked.
I have comments on the "commentary" and the pseudoscience in the article.

As the ARRL Software Defined Working Group Chairman,  I found much of
his commentary both insulting and just plain wrong both personally and
in my position as a member of this working group.  Let me go through my
objections in detail. Drentea refers to several projects as "so called
software defined radio" projects.  The so called software defined radio
projects to which he refers are now in use in the Department of Defense,
  Department of Justice, Department of Transportation,  and many radio
astronomy sites and many laboratories in many countries.  Virginia Tech,
the premiere university in the United States for Mobile and Wireless
communications engineering education has one of the strongest, if not
the strongest, software defined radio program in the country and it is
but one.  This and many other universities use GnuRadio, DttSP, and more
which are the objects of Drentea's scorn.  The SOFTWARE defines them as
software defined radios and they meet every definition of a software
defined radio in the recent FCC rules on SDR and cognitive radio in
their application to the SDR-1000, Flex 5000, Softrock, Universal
Software Radio Peripheral, HPSDR, uwSDR, and more.

In a clear reference to Flex Radio's SDR-1000,  Flex 5000A, Softrock,
Norcal 2030 and other radios based upon the Quadrature Sampling Detector
or Tayloe detector (balanced or unbalanced), Drentea denies that the
measurements made by the ARRL labs in the review of the SDR-1000 and the
reviews made of the Flex 5000A by Rob Sherwood (published recently in
Passport to HF and soon on his web site) constitute credible authorities
on the characterization of radios.  Having never seen any of Drentea's
measurements of his own radio, I cannot attest to the credibility of his
measurements but I do have a comment.  As a person who works
professionally to do software radio for the U.S. government, I do not
know of a lab that can measure 150 dB of IMD dynamic range.  The
required purity of the oscillators alone involved in both the Star-10
and the test equipment is beyond imagining.  The PRODUCT of their noises
must be so low as to require something like temperatures that are
physically impossible to get and have the oscillators continue to
function!  The editorial board of QEX should not allow such ridiculous
claims to go into print.

Finally, let me state as emphatically as possible.  Neither the QSD or
the Tayloe mixers are direct conversion receivers of the type Drentea
refers to in his article.  He simply does not understand what they are.
  Having analyzed the QSD in the SDR-1000 with the mathematics of
Laplace Transforms to find both its transitory and steady state
response, I can assure you, he simply does not know what he is talking
about and has made a fool of himself.

To say that I am disappointed is to really understate the situation. I
am livid beyond almost all repair.

Bob
N4HY

“An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why
must the pessimist always run to blow it out?” Descartes