[hpsdr] FR$ Moderated message

George Medakovich George at Medakovich.com
Tue Oct 2 09:18:42 PDT 2007

> I hoped for more people to get involved with the development, but so
> far it has been extremely disappointing.

I'm sorry to hear that.  There's obviously a lot of interest, maybe there aren't
enough people with the skill set to take it on at this point?  There are also other
sdr projects such as gnu radio, where there is a well established hardware platform
that is readily available (presumably) to anyone who wants to jump in.  This project
is right now limited to the 500 people who bought boards and the relative few who
have built their own.  There are definitely people out there who would make software
contributions if they had a board set to play with.  Myself, I'm reading as fast as I
can, but that EE PhD is kind of elusive at 2-4 hours a week.

Prices for sdr are kind of disappointing too.  Like the pc, a sdr is a powerful general
tool that has a high initial price hurdle, but could be capable of functioning as many
devices.  $1000 at one gulp is hard for me, $5000 is completely out of my range of
priorities (would rather see the pyramids first, I think).

George, ae5ci