[hpsdr] FR$ Moderated message

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:30:39 PDT 2007

On 10/2/07, George Medakovich <George at medakovich.com> wrote:
> > I hoped for more people to get involved with the development, but so
> > far it has been extremely disappointing.
> >

> I'm sorry to hear that.  There's obviously a lot of interest, maybe there aren't
> enough people with the skill set to take it on at this point?  There are also other
> sdr projects such as gnu radio, where there is a well established hardware platform
> that is readily available (presumably) to anyone who wants to jump in.  This project
> is right now limited to the 500 people who bought boards and the relative few who
> have built their own.  There are definitely people out there who would make software
> contributions if they had a board set to play with.  Myself, I'm reading as fast as I
> can, but that EE PhD is kind of elusive at 2-4 hours a week.
>
> Prices for sdr are kind of disappointing too.  Like the pc, a sdr is a powerful general
> tool that has a high initial price hurdle, but could be capable of functioning as many
> devices.  $1000 at one gulp is hard for me, $5000 is completely out of my range of
> priorities (would rather see the pyramids first, I think).
>
> George, ae5ci

Hi George,

I think an inexpensive ISD/QSE type SDR could be designed if we went
away from the Atlas backplane and made a single board solution with
the FX2 USB microcontroller and ADC/DAC on it.  Since the HPSDR group
is now based around the Atlas, Janus, Ozy plug in board model, I don't
know how people would feel about getting away from the plug in board
model.

73 Phil N8VB