[hpsdr] single board rigs *YES* please...

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 16:27:49 PDT 2007

> The AOJPxyz kits are just way beyond the capabilities of many of
> us plain-vanilla hams. I am afraid many of us are afraid that the
> TAPR boards might be exotic engineering trophies rather than
> practical workable ham rigs. A new design might go a long way to
> strengthen the SDR future.

There are a bunch of these low cost rigs already available.
Look at the SoftRock40.  The TXRX version sells for $35 shipped.
It does have some surface mount parts but they are easy do build.
You can use the same software with the Softrock

The goal of HPSDR was to build the best radio possible.  I think
there is room for a sister project with the goal to build
the simplest radio possible but with an pre-planned upgrade path.
People would go for that  The target should be for an initial buy
in cost well below $100.  With such a low barrier to entry you'd
see a larger group.  The $35 SR40 shows "under $100" is not
unrealistic.

I've been drawing diagrams on the backs of envelopes for some time
now trying to come up with a mechanical design that can be built
only with simple hand tools and parts from Home Depot. Currently
it looks like a 4x6 inch PCB with a 34pin connector on one end
(same as on an IDE disk drive) and a 4" length of 1" angle
pop rivited to the other end.  Power and control comes in the
34 pin end, signals (RF, IF and AF) pass through connectors
mounted on the 1" angle aluminum.  A 34 pin ribbon cable
takes the place of the Atlas back plain.  These are low density PCBs
that could be home built based on artwork posted on the web.
The goal would be for a multi-band QRP level, software defined
radio for under $100 and completely home brewed.

Then after that is on the air people could start upgrading the
various PCBs adding roofing filters and so on.  The goal
again is to lower the initial cost.

I don't like the idea of a single board rig.  That means the
only way to experiment is to replace everything and start over.
I'd prefer a set of low cost building blocks that you can
build and test one at a time.

On the software side I like that FSM paper.  I'm going to have
to look closer at it. FSM uses small building blocks too.  A
builder could colect what he likes and swap out parts as he
sees fit.

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org