[hpsdr] single board rigs *YES* please...

George Medakovich George at Medakovich.com
Tue Oct 2 14:45:46 PDT 2007

Ken N9VV wrote:

> The AOJPxyz kits are just way beyond the capabilities of many of
> us plain-vanilla hams. I am afraid many of us are afraid that the
> TAPR boards might be exotic engineering trophies rather than
> practical workable ham rigs. A new design might go a long way to
> strengthen the SDR future.

So far, that actual kit building expertise required for Atlas has been pretty light -
just the Atlas board itself.  This may not be a kit project for people with soldering
irons, more of a assemble-it-yourself computer.  You may not have built all of the
modules, but in the end you will have a decent understanding of how it all works,
or more.

In commenting on the skill set,
I meant to refer to the firmware/software side.  The design of the boards
seems to have settled on the shoulders of some very capable people who
know a lot about digital hardware design, which I don't think is an area
of expertise that a lot of hams have developed yet.  Same with surface mount
and firmware.

However, just lurking on this listserv is a great way to get educated.

I think that the Atlas projects are going to be easy to build (just not from scratch)
and easy to use, but maybe complex to understand.

George Medakovich, ae5ci