[hpsdr] single board rigs *YES* please...

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Tue Oct 2 14:03:00 PDT 2007

I for one would vote *YES* for a single board type of Rx/Tx if it
were possibly cost effective.

Many of the kits that are made by http://www.qrpkits.com are
single board designs with some thru hole parts. The SMT parts are
commercially installed. This has the dual benefit of (a) making
sure the kit can actually be constructed by a klutzy Ham like me;
and (b) attracting a much broader range of builders who can put it
into a box with a few connectors and controls. The larger audience
means economies of scale for TAPR (or whomever designs this kind
of a rig).

The AOJPxyz kits are just way beyond the capabilities of many of
us plain-vanilla hams. I am afraid many of us are afraid that the
TAPR boards might be exotic engineering trophies rather than
practical workable ham rigs. A new design might go a long way to
strengthen the SDR future.

de ken n9vv