[hpsdr] single board rigs *YES* please...

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Tue Oct 2 20:18:33 PDT 2007

Specifically,what about the current AJO boards is beyond the
capabilities of the canonical ham today?    Should the canonical ham
be the target for an HPSDR like project - or are we more looking for
the bleeding edge ham?  Should we be trying to drag today's canonical
ham into the future?

One of the reasons for going with the Atlas setup  was to be able to
have basic building blacks we can mix and match -- and in fact
we're  getting there -- we have a controller/ PC connection board
(Ozy) and an audio A/D  and D/A board (Janus) for use with existing
front ends ala Soft Rock  and SDR 1000.  Penny and Mercury will give
us wideband direct sampling xmitter and receivers -- should be
exciting.   At the same time I've got some basic blocks to experiment with.

The board we're missing is a DDS + xSD/xSE + filters to go into Atlas
and feed Janus.  That too is a disappointment for me.    I did ask
the audience in my talk at the DCC this weekend what they needed to
experiment more with Ozy and Janus -- most of the responses were on
the order of "We need  OZY for Dummies".  If there are folks
interested in working on doing such a course  step on up - I'll be
willing to help.

The thing I do not like on a single board setup is that it is very
hard to experiment with a single board.  With the building lock
approach one can experiment with different technologies without
having to redo the entire radio from scratch.  Too me, this
experimenter friendliness is a prime goal of the HPSDR
project.  Guess the question is are we building one radio, or a set
of components that can be put together to make a radio.

Cheers,

Bill (kd5tfd)